Monday, August 14, 2017

Learning To Hate


I learned about the tragedy in Charlottesville late in the day on Saturday.  I watched with sadness the hatred of the "nationalists", and then with horror the senseless death of one woman and the injuries to many others.
 

I was reminded of one of my favorite John Grisham stories, "The Chamber".  Sam Cayhall is on death row for the bombing of a Jewish lawyer's family, which killed his two young sons.  Ironically, Cahall's son, Adam Hall, ends up representing Cahall in trying to prevent his execution.  Adam is full of the hatred for his grandfather that you might expect anyone to have for a murderer, until Cahall's alcoholic daughter reveals his tragic upbringing.  The story is capped when she produces a photo of the 10-year old Cahall surrounded by a group of Klansman as a black man is hung from a tree.

The reason I like the story is not because it might seem to give the murderer an "out" because of his upbringing.  He is fully responsible for his actions.  But it does make me thankful that I had parents that took me to church and taught me the difference between right and wrong.  My nature is to hate the "nationalists" in Charlottesville, and I do hate everything they stand for.  But my heart also bleeds knowing that the hatred they feel may have been taught to them, just as I was being taught right from wrong.  I don't know if they will ever be healed, but I believe their best chance for healing would come if someone could show them the Jesus I know.  I pray I have a chance to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment