Thursday, February 7, 2019

Listening For The Knock


I have been to a couple of art museums in the US and got to go to several when in Italy, but I am no art aficionado.  I enjoy looking at art, but don't understand what makes some classics and others just a side-note.   I saw this article about a painting by English artist William Holman Hunt of Jesus that captures the verse, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,  I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.”  It shows Jesus holding a lantern and standing at a door with no handle, indicating that it is only the person on the other side that can open the door.    This painting went on tour from 1905 to 1907 across several continents.  In Australia, it is estimated that 80% of the residents viewed the painting, and it is thought to be the world's most well-traveled painting.  I can only imagine the number of people that have been moved closer to Jesus through this great work.

No comments:

Post a Comment