Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Out Of The Ashes

Many of us were glued to our screens this week as the spire atop Notre Dame cathedral burned and fell to the ground.  I had the same feeling as when I watched the first tower at the World Trade Center collapse in 2001 - something like being kicked in the gut.  Thankfully, this time there was no loss of life.  It was more about the loss of something precious and something holy.  Caroline and I were fortunate to be in Paris several years ago, and we visited Notre Dame Cathedral.  I remember we were filled with awe over the scale, the beauty, the history, and the majesty.  I saw in the news that some of the relics in the cathedral were saved, including the Crown of Thorns worn by Jesus on the cross.  Over the coming months, I will watch with anticipation as the cathedral rises up out of the ashes and is restored to its full glory.  This Easter week, I also hope that I am able to see more clearly the risen Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment