Thursday, August 22, 2024

A Walk To Remember

 

I am still coming off of the two-week high delivered by the Paris Olympics.   Some of the competition was riveting, and the stories of overcoming adversity and personal sacrifice were inspiring.  One of the events I didn't catch in prime time was the walk-race, and I didn't seek out any clips of the results either.  It is interesting that the walk-race was one of the track and field events that my family witnessed in 1996 at Turner Field.  I wasn't that excited about it then either.  But, this interview caught my attention.  Australian, Jemimah Mongag, won the bronze medal, and her level-headed comments gave me chills as she talked about what the achievement meant to her and her advice to other young athletes.  After a quick search, I learned that her grandparents were survivors of the Holocaust, so it seems clear to me that her grandparents and parents did a pretty good job of teaching her what things really matter.  I hope she inspires you as much as she did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment