Thursday, August 29, 2013

War


The lead story in the world news today is our country’s decision on whether to retaliate against Syria for their alleged use of chemical weapons against their own people.  I couldn’t help but think about what position I would take if I were President Obama.   I am not a political activist.  In fact, I would say that I am at the other end of the spectrum – very uninformed and not motivated to know more.  One of the reasons for this is that for the times that I have attempted to understand by seeking the views of others, I get confused and sometimes angry.  I do not understand how some people can take a black or white position on something that seems so hard for me to understand.  1)  I hate for innocent people to be injured or killed by a counter attack.  2) I would hate for those people responsible for the chemical weapons to unleash those weapons on people in our country, my town or my family.  This is tough for me to resolve.  Perhaps there are other means to prevent additional attacks on innocent people besides attacking them.  I hope that if these options were available and effective, we would choose to use them.    I am more interested in the opinions of those personally involved than those people on the outside looking in (like me).  The video at the link below doesn’t really address the issue of whether to retaliate against Syria or not, but it is important to me since it is a personal story of a guy who had to make tough decisions in the face of danger.  Video.  I would love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment