Thursday, November 7, 2013

Jesus and Britney

I am a fan of live theatre.  I actually had some experience (when I was young and cute) on the stage of the Springer Opera House in Columbus.  My largest role was as Winthrop in The Music Man.  My dad was in the show as well, and this is one of my fondest memories of being with him.  Now that I am old and not so cute, Caroline and I and sometimes our kids, enjoy the theater from the audience.  We had a fun trip to New York several years ago where we took in several Broadway shows.  I have very fond memories of that trip.  I was surprised to see this news story today at BroadwayWorld.com.   An investor group is previewing a new show telling the life of Jesus through Britney Spears songs.  There is no spoken dialogue and the lyrics of the songs have not been changed, classifying the show as an opera.   I have to say, this raised my eyebrows a little, as I don’t typically think of Broadway, Britney, Opera and Jesus all in the same sentence.  But after some thought, I realized that if someone is passionate about telling the story of Jesus, I am open to hearing it however it can be told (as long as they stick to the script).

No comments:

Post a Comment