Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Soul Searching


Last week I challenged you to tell me about your soul.  Thanks to those of you who responded.  When I began thinking about this, I struggled with how is the soul different from the Holy Spirit.  Even though there is no way for me to fully understand God, I am taught that He is three in one: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirt.  The Father is God, the creator.  Jesus is the Son, and the Holy Spirit is the part of God that takes up residence in me when I declare Jesus as forgiver of my sins and the Lord of my life.   So if the Holy Spirit is in me, is that kind of like my Soul?

The other thing that I wondered about is, “is the soul always good, or can the soul be bad?”  I have heard of “lost souls” and of “wretched souls”, so if those descriptions are true, then I assume the soul can be good or bad. 

These two things made me wonder if the soul might be a place inside me.  That place is where the Holy Spirit resides if I have accepted Jesus.  If you think of the place like a house where the Holy Spirit lives, then I don’t think that is big enough or rich enough to describe the Soul.  But if you think of the place more as a house with a family when a new baby is born, like a home, then you pick up the idea that the Soul is responsible for caring for and nurturing the baby (Holy Spirit).  By thinking of the Soul as a place, that also allows for the possibility that the place can be empty or filled with evil.  These are my thoughts.  As I am reading the book, the author’s ideas are quite different.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment