Thursday, April 14, 2016

Stairway to Heaven


I am reading through the gospel of John this week.  While I am sure I have read it and heard excerpts dozens of  times, I could not have recounted the first interaction between Jesus and Nathanael before this week.   After Jesus calls out to Nathanael before being introduced to him, Nathanael immediately recognizes Jesus as the Son of God.  Jesus then makes a promise to Nathanael, “Very truly I tell you, you will see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”  Some say that Jesus is referencing Jacob’s dream in Genesis 28:12 when he sees “a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.”  This is a beautiful picture to me of God opening the heavens, sending angels down to earth – only made possible by Jesus – the stairway connecting the heavens with the earth.  And He also represents the only access that we have to heaven as our time on earth ends.  (After some minor research to satisfy my curiosity, I don’t believe this stairway to heaven is connected in any way to Led Zeppelin’s.)

No comments:

Post a Comment