Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Word

John 1:1 states:  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God."  I have read the verse many times and had assumed that the Word referred to The Bible.  I have often heard the bible referred to as God's word in church.  It only took me a few mouse clicks to see my misunderstanding.  The original Greek word for "Word" is "Logos".  Logos had multiple meanings at the time John was written.  To the Jews, Logos was sometimes used as another name for God.  To the Greeks, Logos meant the power that puts sense into the world and keeps it in order. John thoughtfully used a word with multiple meanings to introduce Jesus as the Son of God to any that would read it.  The Word is Jesus, the Second Person of the Trinity.  He was with God and He was God.  I am grateful to David Guzik for his thoughtful help with this and to my pastor for introducing me to Mr. Guzik.  For more in depth study, you can meet him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment