Thursday, October 26, 2017

Chanel No. 6

I have been reading through the Gospel according to John for the past couple of weeks, just taking one chapter at a time.  This morning I came to Chapter 12 which contains one of my favorite stories.  Jesus was dining with Mary, Martha and Lazarus.  Martha was busy serving while Mary took a pint of expensive perfume, poured in on Jesus' feet and then wiped his feet with her hair.  Judas, the betrayer, objects and explains that the money spent on the perfume could have been given to the poor.  His words are full of hypocrisy,  as he was not only a betrayer, but a thief, stealing from the disciple's money bag.  Jesus rebuked Judas and saw Mary's actions as an act of love, preceding his death and resurrection.

I am a creature of habit.  I get caught up in checking off a list of items that I think will please God.  God endures my frail efforts, but what He really wants is my unrelenting, extravagant love.  I want to figure out how to give that to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment