Thursday, April 5, 2018

Sweating the small stuff

Being in real estate, I get a lot of phone calls that may or may not be directly related to the growth of my business.  People don't always call wanting to buy or sell houses.  A lot of times I get calls from people who need to find a good plumber or someone to get the leaves out of their gutters.  My nature is to view these calls as distractions and quite honestly, a waste of my time.   Sometimes, even when people are calling about buying or selling, the calls feel like distractions.  One couple was driving through Georgia on their way from Texas to Maine looking for a place to retire.  Lake Hartwell was one of their stops, and there was one house they wanted to see that was another agent's listing.  I was an hour and a half away, and didn't really feel like going on a goose chase that day.  They were persistent, so I reluctantly elected to meet them.  The house they wanted to see was not a match, but as I listened to what they were looking for, I thought of a more expensive house that I had just listed.  I asked them if they wanted to see it, and they agreed.  They seemed to like it, but when finished, they hopped in their pick-up truck to continue their trip to Maine.  I honestly never expected to hear from them again.  My son, Michael, works with me and usually works with our buyers.   Because of my willingness to meet them initially and his follow up for over 6 months, they closed on the house I showed them last week.  God asks us to be faithful with the small things, and when we are, sometimes we get trusted with more.  I try to remember that every time someone's toilet is clogged.

No comments:

Post a Comment