Thursday, October 17, 2019

Freedom Seekers


Last night our ConnectGroup discussion centered on freedom.  If you ask most people what freedom is, they will say, "the ability to think, do or say whatever you want".  But while we all love our freedom, almost everyone will admit that freedom has limits.  Nature, the government, our employer, and our friends all impose limits on our freedom.  So who decides which limits are right and which ones are wrong?  As Christians, we believe that God made us, and that He made us to be in community with others and with Him.  He told us how best to do that by inspiring humans to write down those instructions, and those words have been curated for us over the centuries.  We have the freedom to abide in them or to ignore them.  My true freedom comes in knowing that I can please my Creator by doing my best to know Him more, and that when I mess up, He is waiting for me with open arms.   

One of the most egregious offenses against human freedom was the white man's treatment of Africans as they were bought and sold as slaves for the "owner's" personal gain.  We are still working to try to overcome all the wrong that was done, and that is likely never possible, but I was reminded of one amazing piece of work that gives me hope.   I hope you have 8 minutes to be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment