Thursday, November 21, 2019

Absolutely Wrong

Last week, I wrote about moral relativism - the idea that each person decides what is right and wrong for themselves.  Christians believe that there are moral absolutes that have been established and rooted in us by our Creator.  Regrettably, some Christians have taken it upon themselves to attempt to force what they believe on others.  I can't help but think of the guy with the megaphone outside Sanford Stadium, shouting at people in the crowd he doesn't know, and telling them that they are going to Hell.  While his intentions could be good, I don't think that the approach is what Jesus had in mind.  Of course, we can all name historical examples of Christians oppressing others, some more subversive, and some much more heinous, than the guy on the bridge. I believe our obligation is to discover and live the Truth to the best of our ability, and if that creates an opportunity for me to tell someone else, I should do that with confidence and passion.  That's how God decided to do it.  He could have easily created a world where everything in it was forced to bow before him, but instead, He sent his own Son to show us the Way, allowed Him to die a gruesome death, and gave us the chance to either follow him, or not.  (I credit Tim Keller's "Making Sense of God" for helping me frame my thoughts this week and last week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment