Thursday, September 17, 2020

Ancient History

 Our ConnectGroup from church met for the first time this week.  We are studying J. I. Packer's book, "Knowing God".   Most of the reviews I saw about the book were very positive, but there are a few recent reviews that said the book was old-fashioned and out of touch with today's world.  It was written in 1973, so almost five decades have passed since it was released.  In trying to learn a little more about Packer, I found that he was born in England and finished his career and life in Canada.  He was influenced by writer's including Charles Ryle, Jonathan Edwards, John Owen and John Calvin.  I was only familiar with John Calvin.  These men were born in 1800, 1703, 1616 and 1509 respectively.  If Packer can go back 50 decades to study the truth, I think we can go back 5. In Packer's own words, "I would rather be old-fashioned and clear than modern and muddled."  I can't wait to get some clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment