Thursday, June 2, 2022

M.I.A.


Those of you who know me well are probably aware that I am not a huge fan of rap music.  So when I saw an article about M.I.A., I fully assumed that it was about a service person that was missing in action.  I quickly learned that M.I.A. is also the stage name for Maya Arulpragasam.  Maya was raised in Sri Lanka but moved with her mother to London when she was 11.  While attending art school in London, her cousin was reported to be missing in action in Sri Lanka, and she felt guilty that he was fighting for something important while she was enjoying an easy life with her friends.   After Maya began performing music publicly, she later elected to use the stage name M.I.A. in honor of her cousin.  The "A" also stood for Acton, which is the area of London that she lived in.  In 2017, Maya saw a vision of Jesus that changed her life, turning it upside down.  She saw Him and wanted Him at the center of her life.  She recently revealed this in a podcast and recognized that it could have a huge impact on her acceptance by her fans, many of which were not Christians and some of which don't like Christians at all.  I thought it was interesting in the interview when she said, "Christianity just seems so basic."  Some might see that as a slight, but I see it as her recognition that Christianity is the foundation, or basis, for our purpose on this Earth.  Praise God for a celebrity that has the conviction to get people who might not know Jesus, talking about Jesus.  For an excerpt from the interview, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment