Thursday, June 15, 2023

Bread Sticks

 

I have been leading a small group from church for the last several years.  There are two sessions per year with breaks in between.  I am pretty good about daily bible study and preparation when the groups are meeting, but I have been viewing the time in between sessions as "taking a break".  A good friend of mine challenged me recently to read every morning - not just a book someone had written with their perspective, but the best book ever written, the Bible.  I  have read through the Bible a couple of times in my lifetime, but I asked my friend where I should start.  Without hesitation, he said the Book of John.  I had forgotten how packed with truth this book is.  In the first five chapters, Jesus has been teaching and performing miracles.  Jesus' followers knew that their ancestors had been provided manna from heaven when they were wandering in the desert.  In Chapter 6, Jesus is teaching a large crowd, and the people are hungry.  A boy has two fish and five loaves, and the food is multiplied so that 5000 are fed.  On the next day, people were following Jesus, not for the teaching, but because they were hungry again and wanted more food.  Jesus explained to them, "I am the bread of life,  whoever comes to me shall not perish and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."   If Jesus is the bread of life, one of the best ways to taste it is through reading His words regularly.  I am so grateful that my friend challenged me to start reading the Bible regularly. I challenge you: if you haven't read the Book of John in a while, start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment