Thursday, December 21, 2023

The Great Mystery



This is the first year in a while that Caroline and I have not been a part of The Georgia Wind Symphony.  We elected to take a break this year.  While we felt the break was needed, we definitely miss being a part of the group, and especially the Christmas concert.  One of my favorite songs of all time (any genre) is O Magnum Mysterium.  I have posted about this song in the past, but when I think of my favorite Christmas memories, this performance always rises to the top of the list.  Here are the lyrics from the original composition:


O great mystery,
and wonderful sacrament,
that animals should see the newborn Lord,
lying in a manger!
O blessed virgin, whose womb
was worthy to bear
the Lord Jesus Christ.
Alleluia!

My favorite choral performance was at King's College in Cambridge with the original Latin lyrics.  Take a moment to be still and focus on the reason for this season.  Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment