Thursday, September 5, 2024

Mental Health Crisis

Once again our country is dealing with a sick or troubled individual who has decided the appropriate response is to shoot and kill innocent people.  Only this time, the incident is in my backyard.  People I work with and go to church with have students at Apalachee High School.  Thankfully, their children were not harmed physically, but I can't imagine what they and their families went through yesterday.  The shooting will change their lives forever, and I hope and pray that they have extended family, friends and counselors that are able to provide some level of comfort.   I am all for whatever we can do to make schools safer, but I have to believe if someone is that sick, they will find a way to act on their impulse, even if it is outside of a school at some other less protected venue.   I think our only hope is to do a better job recognizing and addressing the mental health issues that are leading to these tragedies.  I am not an expert, but I did find these resources for help:  Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and Crisis Services at the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health.  If you are struggling with anything, I would welcome a call at 678-469-9917.

No comments:

Post a Comment