Thursday, July 30, 2026

A Chain of Inspiration

C. S. Lewis is my favorite author of all time - Christian or secular.  His books "Mere Christianity" and "The Screwtape Letters" did more to help my understanding of Jesus (and Satan) than any other books, besides the Bible.   As I read him, I often wonder, "Who or what helped him learn how to think and write that way?"  I'm sure his schooling played a major part in shaping him.  He also studied privately with W. T. Kirkpatrick who was the father of the headmaster from one of his schools.  I have written in the past about his friendship with J. R. Tolkien, whom Lewis credits with leading him from atheism to Christianity.  In Lewis's "Surprised By Joy," he mentions that G. K. Chesterton's "The Everlasting Man" was pivotal to his understanding of Jesus.  Lewis stated, " I did not know what I was letting myself in for. A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading."   I have not read anything by Chesterton to date, but I ordered "The Everlasting Man" today.   Let me know if you have read it or if you would like to read along with me.  After this one, I expect to want to find out who inspired him.

No comments:

Post a Comment