Thursday, January 23, 2014

Searching for the spirit


Last week’s post generated some spirited discussion amongst my family.  You can see the full original post below, but to summarize, I was recapping Dallas Willard’s interpretation of the beatitude, “blessed are the poor in spirit”.  His interpretation was that Jesus was preaching TO the poor in spirit, and not that we should BE poor in spirit.   Several people disagreed and had some excellent supporting opinions from people like Billy Graham.   Most of our email conversations this week centered around what this “spirit” actually is.  Their interpretation is that it is not until we recognize our own complete bankruptcy (poor in spirit), that we can learn to ask for and seek Jesus’ spirit in us.  And this condition is one that we should continue to try to foster.  Many of the authors cited compared this to humility, which is something I struggle with daily.  Amen.  I agree 100%.  

It is a statement of Jesus’ greatness that he can speak words that can help different people in different ways and even the same person in different ways depending on that person’s life circumstances.  I have a go-to guy that I depend on quite bit when I am seeking to understand tough issues.  He has written several posts that have become popular with some and brutalized by others.  Actually, as a well-educated younger man, he spoke and wrote against Jesus and his teachings - until he met Him.  I found one post where he is talking about being led by the Spirit, as if you were walking side by side with him, talking with him and learning from him.  That is beautiful to me.  In another post he talks about the Spirit being inside of me, growing inside and replacing me with Him.  I love that, too.  Thanks Paul.   I believe Jesus was pleased  this week as we sought to understand Him more fully.  Help me to live like this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment