Thursday, December 8, 2016

Reward Levels

Last night our small group from church got off on a spirited tangent talking about different "levels" of heaven.  All of us had heard in the past about the idea that the more obedient we are on Earth, the higher the level we would be assigned in heaven.  All of us also agreed that this seems counter to the idea that all that is necessary for entrance to heaven is belief in Jesus as God's son and our personal savior.  We did a little digging to find this reference in 2 Corinthian 12:2 where Paul says:  “I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.”   Our study sources revealed that the word translated as heaven, could also be translated as "realm".    If Paul was describing the "third realm", he was likely just been describing the one and only heaven.   Revelation 22:12 states: “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done” .  This could also be interpreted as higher rewards for cleaner living on earth.  I prefer to think of it this way.   I love music.  Another person may love visual art.  I believe that in God's infinite generosity, he could reward us with those things that mean the most to us.  One gift isn't better than another, it is just "according to what we have done."  This may or may not be the way it will be.   But I feel strongly about two things.  1) God loves that we are curious about him and desire to know him more.  2) Anything great or beautiful that we could imagine about heaven while on earth will be dwarfed by the surprises God has in store for us when we meet him face to face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment