Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Running Hard

David, my pastor at The Vine, mentioned a book a couple of weeks ago called The Pursuit of God , by A. W. Tozer.  I ordered it, trusting his recommendation, and read the first chapter this morning.  It is almost unimaginable to me how 10 pages of text could have the potential life-changing affect that Tozer desired for his readers.  In trying to summarize the first chapter in my head, it seems impossible, as every paragraph, sentence and word seems to be packed with truth.  Here is my feeble attempt.  
We are only able to pursue God, because he first pursued us.   While my distraction with the things of this world, and my neglect of Him, is a mockery of all that He intends for us, He knows my every weakness better than I do, and is fully available to help me.  He wants us to be running hard after Him, but all the while, He is holding us in his hand.  A starting place for today is a simple prayer uttered by Moses, "Show me your glory."

In looking for the recent song of the same name made popular by Third Day for some musical support for today's post, I found this version that I have never heard before by Jesus Culture.  It is reassuring to me that the words of Moses uttered 3500 years ago, and written about in Tozer's book in 1948, remain powerful and relevant still today.

No comments:

Post a Comment