Thursday, September 12, 2019

Color Bound

Caroline and I were in New York this past weekend and took time to go see "To Kill a Mockingbird" on Broadway.  The theater, the sets, the performances, and of course the story, were all amazing.  I hadn't been exposed to the story in some time, but the play brought it back to life for me in a whole new way.  Atticus Finch, played by Jeff Daniels, is the defense attorney appointed to represent a black man, Tom Robinson, who was accused of raping a white girl.  While it becomes clear that Robinson was not guilty of the crime, he was convicted by an all white jury and then brutally murdered shortly thereafter.  The horror portrayed in the play is something that I never experienced personally growing up, but seeing it unfold on stage caused me to grieve for all who were, and still are, affected by such hatred.  I happened upon this article describing how the Virginia Theological Seminary recently set aside $1.7M to establish a fund to help families who were affected by the institution's role in slavery.  I hope more organizations and institutions choose to follow their lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment