Thursday, September 5, 2019

Navigating the Storm

Seeing the aftermath of Dorian hitting the Bahamas, and thinking about how many lives will be affected by the storm in the US, puts a knot in my stomach.  When these disasters hit, I find myself thinking, "I wish there was something I could do."  Visiting the area to help directly is almost always out of the question, but giving some money to assist is a definite possibility.  That thought is quickly followed by, "Navigating through all the relief organizations is so complicated.  How can I make sure I am not getting scammed?"  So I do nothing.  Writing this post today made me want to do something besides nothing.  With the best of my ability, I researched the organizations participating in Dorian relief efforts.  I elected to donate to All Hands and Hearts.  I found them highly rated at multiple sites, and they have laid out their financials for everyone to see here.  They report that 96% of all donations go directly to the relief effort with only 4% in overhead and administration.  Is there a chance I am getting scammed?  Yep.  Can I say I at least tried to do something?  Yep.  I hope you will do something, or even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment