Thursday, August 18, 2022

Futbol Fan

I have never played soccer.  There was only one type of football in Columbus, GA where I grew up, and it wasn't the soccer one.    But my interest is piqued now that all my grandchildren that are old enough (5 so far) are playing.  At first, attending games was all about moral support, as we watched 10 kids hover around a ball like dust hovers around Pig-Pen.  But now, things are different.  The older grandchildren are excelling, and their talent and endurance is literally amazing.  The older boys, as well as my son and son-in-law, are also avid professional soccer fans.  I can't keep up with all the different professional leagues and players, but I, along with other non-ballers, got introduced to Sadio Mane (then playing for Liverpool) when one of his social media posts went viral.   A photo of him included his iphone with a cracked screen, and many commented: "this guy earns $10M euros/year.  Can't he afford a new iphone."  His response was inspiring: "Why would I want ten Ferraris, 20 diamond watches and two jet planes? What would that do for the world? I starved, I worked in the fields, I played barefoot, and I didn't go to school. Now I can help people. I prefer to build schools and give poor people food or clothing. I have built schools [and] a stadium; we provide clothes, shoes, and food for people in extreme poverty. In addition, I give 70 euros per month to all people from a very poor Senegalese region in order to contribute to their family economy. I do not need to display luxury cars, luxury homes, trips, and even planes. I prefer that my people receive a little of what life has given me".  

Sadio's father died when he was young because there was no medical facility nearby.  After making a name for himself in professional soccer, Sadio knew his town still needed a hospital, so he built one there.  Sadio is a role model for professional athletes and for each one of us.  For more on his story, click here.  And to see his brand of poetry in motion, click here.

(Thanks to my good friend, Janet Jeanes, for reminding me about this great story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment