Thursday, August 4, 2022

Pop Pronouns

I have done everything in my power to avoid this one, but I just can't anymore.  I like Demi Lovato.  I think she is a good singer, and I liked her as a judge on X-factor.   But she has been front and center this week because of her decision to use new pronouns which are now "they" and "she".  Last year, she identified as non-binary, which I assumes means that she can be both male and female, not one or the other.  But now, she is feminine, so she likes "she", but I have no idea how she gets to "they".  "They" is plural, and she is one person.  That is followed by her statement that her sexuality is fluid.   I recently heard that at an annual conference for a Fortune 500 company, attendees were required to list their pronouns on  their name badge.  I wish I could change the conversation from "this is what I want you to call me" to "this is how I am feeling today".  I feel more masculine when I am barefooting behind a ski boat, and I feel more feminine when I bust out crying when I hear a beautiful piece of music.  I don't need to dictate how you address me each time I feel different.  Besides, it is all too confusing.  Just call me Tom.  Which sex organs I have, and which sex I am attracted to doesn't need to be broadcast to anyone, but I am happy to tell a friend if they want to know.  I get that I may be adding fuel to the fire by posting this, but I am admittedly dazed and confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment