Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Jesus Music

Amy Grant - My Father's Eyes

My first memory of contemporary Christian music was Amy Grant singing My Father's Eyes when I was in high school in the late 70's.  My church was still using the hymnbook and the pipe organ (which I loved, and still love).  It wasn't until I was married with young kids in the 1980's that our church offered a contemporary service "with electric guitars".  I remember the older members questioning how a person could worship Jesus with guitars.   I like contemporary Christian music, too.   I watched the Hulu special, The Jesus Music, this week.  I found it fascinating that the Jesus music movement was started by a bunch of hippies in California that were underwhelmed by a life that was centered on sex, drugs and rock and roll.    One hippie, Larry Norman, got introduced to Jesus and is credited with releasing "Upon This Rock", the first full Christian music album, in 1969.  (Listen here)  Many high-profile televangelists labeled the music "of the devil"  at that time.  I wonder what they would say today if they visited almost any of the most successful urban churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment