Thursday, November 3, 2022

Greed Complex

Greed is fueled by fear: fear that we won't have the things our friends and neighbors have, fear that we won't be able to support our families, fear that we won't have enough money to retire on, but worst of all, a fear that God will not provide.  Greed is often masked as saving, or planning for the future, and offers a seemingly innocent reason to hold onto our possessions tightly.  Trusting that God will provide can help us loosen our grip on what we think is ours, but recognizing that we are only stewards of our things, and not owners, is what can help us the most.  Greed is conquered by generosity, and generosity includes planned giving and spontaneous giving.  Over time, I have become pretty good at planned giving, but I have a long way to go with spontaneous giving.  My nature is to try to make a judgment as to whether the recipient is worthy, but that is not my responsibility.  My job is to be generous without judgement.  I want to be generous - not just act generous.  Pray for me.


My thoughts are inspired by Andy Stanley's book, Enemies of the Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment