Thursday, April 13, 2023

Patience, my son

 Last night, at our small group gathering, we were talking about the fifth chapter of James.  Verse 8 reads: "You also, be patient.  Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand."  That verse is so rich and so convicting to me.  Productivity, I excel at.  Patience, not so much.  In fact, being productive (getting a lot done in a short amount of time) is actually the enemy of patience (waiting peacefully).  And patience is especially hard for me when I feel like someone else is slowing me down.  So how are we supposed to be more patient?   "Establish our hearts".  What does that even mean?  To establish is "to set up on a firm or permanent basis".   I know the firm foundation for me is the trinity.   So if I need to set up my heart on a firm foundation, I need to find time to do that.   Maybe I can find a way to apply my gift of being able to focus on a task and achieving it to establishing my heart.  But, it will probably look very different.  As opposed to accomplishing a bunch of tasks, I will need to force myself to schedule time to slow down, stop working, be quiet and listen.  I  hope that working on establishing my heart will help to make me more patient 24/7.  I hope the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment