I posted about my only personal experience with Dolly in my real estate blog this week. She called me out at her concert that I attended 40 years ago at a company event. I like her music ok, but I love her personality and what she stands for. She has the rare ability as a celebrity to not take herself too seriously. But at the same time, I get the feeling that she is very smart. Furthermore, those who know her best say that she is one of the most caring, genuine and generous people on the planet. Fifty years ago, she wrote one of her biggest hits, "I Will Always Love You". Many people assume it is about the breakup of a romantic relationship, but she actually wrote it to her partner, Porter Wagner, when she decided to leave his show and go out on her own. She wrote the song for him instead of drawing up a separation contract. 20 years later, Whitney Houston performed the song in the movie, "The Body Guard", introducing it to a whole new generation of people. I heard Dolly say in an interview that the first time she heard Whitney's version of the song on the radio while driving, she had to pull over because she was overcome with emotion. It wasn't a jealous emotion. She was amazed at what Whitney was able to do with her little song that she had written for Porter. I am pretty sure that the resurgence of her song paid off for her financially, but I also believe that she was genuinely happy for Whitney and all the new people that got to hear it and love it. She set an example for people in the music industry that will be hard to live up to.
No comments:
Post a Comment