Robert Zimmerman was born on May 4th, 1941. His grandparents were Jewish emigrants, and his parents brought him into the world in Duluth, MN. As a teenager, Robert loved rock and roll and was especially influenced by Little Richard and Elvis Presley. He had a band in high school and played in a coffee shop at The University of Minnesota. During that time, his focus shifted from rock and roll to folk music. He acknowledged that while rock and roll has driving rhythms and great catchphrases, folk music is "filled with more despair, more sadness, more triumph, more faith in the supernatural, [and] much deeper feelings." Robert started writing his own folk songs, dropped out of the university and moved to New York to begin performing there. His music began catching on, and the 1960's were filled with new songs in the folk, folk rock and pop rock genres. In the 70's, Robert's girlfriend introduced him to her church, The Vineyards, in Southern California. The church's staff, other members of his band, and a songwriter friend all encouraged Robert to consider Jesus. In 1978, Robert accepted Him as his Lord and Savior. Robert's attention turned towards Christian folk/rock music, and in 1979, his song "Gotta Serve Somebody" won the Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance. I was never a huge Bob Dylan fan, but I wish I had been. I think I was about a decade late to the party. But I am so thankful that his friends pointed him to Jesus so he could use his influence to do the same for others.
No comments:
Post a Comment