Thursday, August 14, 2014

Coming Home


Andy Stanley alluded to a Buzz-Feed post by Jessica Misener in one of his recent sermons.  He didn’t spend a lot of time talking about the post, but I find myself interested in things that are interesting to him.  I looked up the post and read the sad story of Jessica who got introduced to Jesus in high school, fell in love with him, and then decided to study the bible more by getting a graduate degree in religion.  Her inability to make everything in the bible make sense to her led her to disbelief in Jesus.    

There have been a few times when people have asked me why I believe in Jesus.  I remember trying to talk about experiences or feelings that I have had that I don’t think could have happened without Jesus.  I don’t think this is bad, but I don’t think it is best.  I believe in Jesus because I believe he died for my sins and rose from the dead as is accounted for by credible eye witnesses who were there, including his brother, James.  All of my experiences and feelings stem from that fact – not because of anything that I have done. 

Jessica continues in her post to talk about what she misses about being a Believer.  It is gut wrenching for me to read.  I pray that she and others like her will feel the peace and joy that only comes with knowing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment