Thursday, November 16, 2017

Epidemic Exposed

It's hard to avoid the daily news reporting people that are acknowledging that they have been sexually abused by people they know in power, especially in the entertainment industry.  Each story is gut-wrenching, but it is hard for me not to feel numbed by the sheer volume of stories.  Sometimes it feels like every girl or woman has been assaulted at one time or another, and it is only a matter of time before each decides to announce it.  This breaks my heart.  Each story represents a life-changing event, that many may never recover from.  But this really hits home for me when I think of the women and girls in my family - my wife, my daughters and my granddaughters.  I cannot imagine the pain of finding out that they had been abused or harassed.  I have looked for help in how to best deal with the epidemic, and this article seems to do as good a job as any of helping with a Christian response.  The first thing I have to do is guard my own actions, making sure that my thought-life and interactions with others are pure.  Secondly, I need to make sure that nothing I do or say would encourage or condone another to think it was ok to treat people this way.  And third,  I need to speak up to let people know that this kind of behavior is not what God intended for us.  For people who haven't really cared what God intends for us in the past, perhaps this epidemic exposed will be a wake-up call.

No comments:

Post a Comment