Friday, December 18, 2020

Mended Heart

 

This time last year, we traveled with good friends to Nashville for a little Christmas getaway.   I have several fond memories of that trip, but the highlight was seeing Amy Grant and Vince Gill's Christmas concert at the Ryman.   Amy and I are the same age, and she has been a part of our family's playlist for all of our adult lives.  Her early Christmas album (yes vinyl) got broken in well between Thanksgiving and Christmas every year.  I love Amy's story.  Yes, she is a celebrity, and I'm sure she has all the money she needs, but she took a beating when she tried to transition from Christian to Pop music.  Her first marriage to Gary Chapman ended in divorce, and she recently underwent open-heart surgery to correct a birth defect.   In 1992, she released a song she wrote entitled "Breath of Heaven".  She tells the story of Jesus' birth through Mary's eyes.   I found this performance of the song with the Boston Pop's from 2003, after her return to Christian music and her marriage to Vince Gill.  The performance isn't perfect.  We never are.  But I love her mended heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment