Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Healing Prayer

A friend let me borrow a book called Healing Prayer by David Chotka and Maxie Dunham.  I have just started it, but I am already inspired and scared.  I am inspired as each of them shared their personal experiences with healing prayer in the first chapter.  David had an acquaintance that had ridiculed him for his Christian belief.  The acquaintance was diagnosed with phlebitis and had asked through a mutual friend for David to pray for him.  He stated, "David is the only one I know that believes."   Based on the history, David initially rejected the request, but later was convinced that he needed to be faithful to God and to the request.  David visited the acquaintance in the hospital, laid his hands on the diseased area, and prayed for healing for the first time in his life.  He felt a warmth go from his arm into the diseased shoulder.  The next day multiple doctors confirmed that there was no sign of the phlebitis.  Maxie's story was different in that his family and church community was praying for his grandson who had multiple issues with his vision over several years.  Doctors said he would never be able to see normally, but after multiple years, his vision was almost completely restored.  These stories are inspirational, but the scary part to me is that I know I have prayed prayers for healing that have not been answered immediately, and most have still not been answered to my knowledge.   I know that this is true for many of my friends who have done the same.  That makes me question both my level of faith and my capacity to pray "correctly".  I hope this book is going to help me with both of those fears.  I would love to hear your experiences with healing prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment